D.C. HOUSING AUTHORITY UNVEILS JANICE WADE MCCREE COMMUNITY CENTER AT LANGSTON TERRACE
Former Langston Terrace Resident Council President
Washington D.C. -- Langston Terrace neighborhood leaders and community members will be joined by Mayor Vincent C. Gray, Chairman Phil Mendelson and District of Columbia Housing Authority Executive Director Adrianne Todman, on Friday, December 6 at 3 p.m. at a ceremony for the newly named Janice Wade McCree Community Center.
Janice Wade McCree (December 25, 1944 - December 8, 2012) was a community activist and leader in the historic Northeast community where she lived and raised her family for 55 years. A strong proponent of education, McCree regularly spoke out for new opportunities and testified on behalf of her neighbors and their children.She was often recognized for her advocacy for both Ward 5 and the Langston Terrace community, where she served as resident council president for 20 years. Most recently, the D.C. Council posthumously honored her "exceptional service and commitment to the District of Columbia" in February.
Members of the Langston Terrace community worked with DCHA staff to rename the neighborhood's community center, located at 701 24th St. N.E., to memorialize McCree's hard work. At Friday'rs ceremony, several of McCree's friends and colleagues, including city officials, will speak on her behalf in the resident council office, located at 677 24th St. N.E.
A reception will follow the unveiling.
For more information, contact Christy Goodman in DCHA's Public Affairs and Communications Department by phone at 202-535-2801 or by email at email@example.com.
- BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS MEETING 1:00 PM, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2013
- ADDENDUM NO. 1 DCHE 2013-6 BID PACKAGE NO. 4 - RENOVATION OF SCATTERED SITES LOCATED AT 1452 EUCLID STREET, N.W. AND 1312 IRVING STREET, N.W, WASHINGTON, DC
- CANCELLATION OF SOLICITATION: REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL NO. 0015-2013 PROPERTY MANAGEMENT SERVICES
- BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS MEETING 1:00 PM, WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2013
- 2ND ANNUAL CONTRACTS FORECAST EVENT PARKING PASSmore-->